The Art Director is responsible for creating and maintaining the style and quality of the show. Manage and direct a team of designers to accomplish that end, according to the production schedule.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Review storyboards for all visual elements, working in conjunction with Supervising Producer
- Oversee creation and maintenance of model packs and style guides, including but not limited to expressions, character construction, mouth charts and character turnarounds.
- Oversee workflow to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Communicate appropriate creative notes to overseas studio.
- Assist with the generation of creative retake materials.
- With LPs prior approval,assign any necessary overflow design or color work to freelance artists and supervise artists work.
- Create rough and clean designs as necessary to ensure deadlines are met.
- Liaise with Network, Executive Producer and Line Producer to manage the creation of any special artwork or materials needed for press art, on-air promotions or any other uses to ensure the style of the show is maintained.
- Guide artists through the design process and communicate any special needs.
- Break down script and review design lists with artists and production staff to generate rough designs for storyboard artists to use.
- Assign designs to specific artists. Communicate any special design needs or directives to the artists and appropriate production staff.
- Provide direction to design crew and answer questions as they arise.
- Inform appropriate production staff of designs and reference needed for reuse.
- Review completed designs with artists. Communicate and superviseany necessary changes.
- Create designs as required.
- Oversee workflow to ensure deadlines are met.
- With LPs prior approval, assign and supervise any overflow to freelance artist(s).
- Meet regularly with appropriate production staff to communicate progress of department.
- Communicate and manage schedules, deadlines and priorities and any changes to same -- to the design team/artists as well as the appropriate production staff.
- Review designs against storyboards for continuity and missing elements.
- Review completed designs with appropriate creative supervisors and ensure any further revisions are implemented.
- Alert production staff immediately if deadlines are in jeopardy.
- Direct clean-up process withartists, including monitoring schedule, deadlines and priorities.
- Review clean designs and layouts with appropriate creative supervisors and oversee any revisions or changes, as needed.
- Oversee color stylists and BG painters and communicate creative directives of the show, including special needs, such as lighting requirements, stylistic concerns and/or special color/palette needs.
- Review color models and BGs. Communicate and supervise any necessary changes. If necessary, assist with revisions.
- Attend color correction sessions, as available.
- Solid knowledge of all facets of the animation process.
- Strong time and resource management skills.
- Solid leadership and communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of color theory and lighting.
- Thorough understanding of perspective.
- Strong construction/mechanical skills.
- On-the-fly problem solving ability.
- Ability to be creative on demand.
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn applicable design software and hardware.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in style of show
- Strong design skills
- Strong staging/mechanical skills
- Solid time-management skills
- Significant drawing and painting experience is necessary
- 5-7 years as a designer
- BA in Fine Arts or equivalent work experience desired
How to Apply
Include a resume and cover letter as well as link to your digital portfolio or website.
To submit your information, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Please put the position name (or code if applicable) in the subject line
We apologize that due to the volume of submissions we're unable to personally respond to each applicant or inquiry. If your qualifications meet our needs, we will contact you.
indicating Art Director, TV in the subject line.